[Wylug-help] Ubuntu screen resolution incorrect

Tim Jones nutpeg2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 9 16:25:22 GMT 2007

I've just installed Ubuntu 6.10 on my widescreen (1280 x 800) laptop but Ubuntu is forcing the resolution to 1024 x 768 and doesn't offer the correct resolution as an option. As a result the display is horizontally stretched e.g. circles are shown as oval. Does anyone know how I might go about sorting this out.  I have looked on the Ubuntu wiki but unfortunately the help given is not clear to me as I'm a novice in this area.  I have an Intel Core Duo processor with an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 256MB graphics card.  Any help is much appreciated.

Tim Jones