[Wylug-help] Edimax Print Server Configuration

Shaun Laughey shaun.laughey at futurecorp.co.uk
Wed Jan 17 15:16:14 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 14:00, Andy Coulson wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  This is my first post to this group, so please put  me right if I am
> posting to the wrong place.  I have recently moved over to Linux and am
> running Ubuntu Edgy.
>
>  I am trying to get my Edimax 3205UWg print server set up and am
> struggling. I connect to it with wired ethernet. It works under windows XP
> and I can see it in eclipse with Samba enabled in the windows workgroup. I
> can ping the printserver from linux and see the configuration page in the
> web browser. IPP and LPD are enabled (the printserver is Based on BSD). I
> can connect the Samsung ML1510 laser printer to the linux box via USB and
> print ok. When I connect the Samsung printer to the USB port on the print
> server and set up a printer connecting via LPD nothing happens..
>
>  In the Gnome Printer configuration I enter the IP address (fixed & not
> dynamic) in the host field and the the printer queue name appears to be
> correct (it's taken from the printserver config page). The printer
> properties show: Ready: Network host '192.168.0.5' is busy, down, or
> unreachable; will retry in 30 seconds...
>
>  I suspect I need to do something to configure CUPS, but I can't figure out
> what even after trying the CUPS website
>
>  Thanks for reading this and I hope you can help...

Hello Andy,

Welcome to the world of linux and printers it's probably the second most
talked about subject on WYLUG-help after wireless networks. We should do a
score chart.

I have used the exact same print server with a Samsung printer. It was the
worst piece of kit I've had the misfortune to use. I couldn't decide if it
was faulty either or the edimax programmers were having a joke but printing
was a chore. It used to power off the USB interface to the samsung printer
and then the thing wouldn't print for any windows users as their all knowing
OS showed the printer as offline.

However after enabling it as a printer via IPP it was great. The whole thing
was so stable that it was the windows users who had the connectivity issues.
It got so bad they connected via samba to my machine and then to the print
server.

Easiest thing to do is to add the printer as an ipp printer. In your print
administration thing of choice. I use the CUPS built in one.

Using a browser go to http://localhost:631.

It may need some configuration to enable administration under Ubuntu. I recall
seeing some complaints about their security before. Once you enable CUPS
administration you can then use their add printer functions.

Add printer -> choose some names (it's metadata and not that important the
name should be sensible though) ->   printer type is IPP -> device uri:
ipp://0.0.0.0/lpt1 (replace 0.0.0.0 with your printers ip address)
then continue on through the screens to choose drivers etc and then test.

A far better way of adding a printer than using the gnome one IMHO.

Although if only the mandrake printer one worked reliably and was widely used
because it's nice and straight forward and I'm sure it used to do
autodetection of all printers on the network segment.

Fond memories of my Mandrake laptop finding all 10 printers in the building
for me, URL's the lot while my colleague had to go round asking for ip
addresses and playing the Windows "wheres the driver disk?" game.

Hope this helps.

Shaun Laughey.