[Wylug-help] New camcorder with usb2 transfer

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Mon Jan 22 16:43:04 GMT 2007

On 22 Jan 2007, at 16:16, Anne Wilson wrote:

> My new camcorder has usb2 transfer with software for windows and
> mac.  I can't believe that it's not possible in linux, but I've no
> idea where to start.

This is fairly generic advice, because I don't know the camcorder in
question, and have never tried connecting one to a computer, but
maybe one of the following suggestions might bring you close to an
answer

  - what's the storage format ?  Is there some kind of removable
flash-technology that you can just take out of the camera, and put
into a usb card reader ?  This would present itself to your computer
as a usb mass-storage drive (check dmesg after plugging it in to see
what to mount with the mount command, perhaps your distribution would
mount it for you ?)  Then you can copy the files off straight to your
disk.

  - What appears in dmesg when you plug the camcorder in via usb.
Taking the output and googling that, or maybe the output of lsusb
would give you more pointers.

  - Posting model numbers of the camcorder might get you more
specific info from the group.

--
Regards, Andy Davidson
http://www.devonshire.it/  -  0844 704 704 7  - Sheffield, UK