[Wylug-help] New camcorder with usb2 transfer

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 22 19:49:36 GMT 2007

On Monday 22 January 2007 16:43, Andy Davidson wrote:
> On 22 Jan 2007, at 16:16, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > My new camcorder has usb2 transfer with software for windows and
> > mac.  I can't believe that it's not possible in linux, but I've no
> > idea where to start.
>
> This is fairly generic advice, because I don't know the camcorder in
> question, and have never tried connecting one to a computer, but
> maybe one of the following suggestions might bring you close to an
> answer
>
>   - what's the storage format ?  Is there some kind of removable
> flash-technology that you can just take out of the camera, and put
> into a usb card reader ?  This would present itself to your computer
> as a usb mass-storage drive (check dmesg after plugging it in to see
> what to mount with the mount command, perhaps your distribution would
> mount it for you ?)  Then you can copy the files off straight to your
> disk.

No, it's DV tape  chosen for robustness.

>   - What appears in dmesg when you plug the camcorder in via usb.
> Taking the output and googling that, or maybe the output of lsusb
> would give you more pointers.

Nothing in dmesg and nothing in messages.

>   - Posting model numbers of the camcorder might get you more
> specific info from the group.

Sony DCR-HC35E.  So far I've found no mention of linux compatibility.  Sony
provide usb drivers for windows and mac.  I've got so used to anything usb
that's over 6 months old being supported in linux that this has come as a bit
of a shock.  Unlike some other classes of devices I never thought to check a
compatibility list before buying.  I'd hate to think that I have to use
windows to do this - I do have a dual-boot laptop if necessary - but I may be
beaten, this time.