[Wylug-help] New camcorder with usb2 transfer

Dave Whiteley d.l.whiteley at ee.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jan 22 16:46:13 GMT 2007

On Monday 22 January 2007 16:16, Anne Wilson wrote:
> My new camcorder has usb2 transfer with software for windows and mac.  I
> can't believe that it's not possible in linux, but I've no idea where to
> start.  I was told to use kino, but kino only seems to support capture from
> firewire. Does anyone know how I can do this?  It's not seen as a storage
> device, nor as a video4linux device.  I've tried hunting through the sys
> tree but I can't find it.  I'm completely stuck.
>
> Any ideas on how I could start?  Thanks
>
> Anne

I have had pretty good success in getting data via USB from my digital camera,
which also supports some movie formats, using Digicam.  I have found that it
works pretty well from scratch on a newish Kubuntu installation.

On my camera there is a MPT(?  Microshaft Picture Transfer of some such))
transfer format, and rather than searching for my camera in the config list
you just choose the MPT? camera via USB and it works.

Hope this helps.

Dave

--

Dave Whiteley
d.l.whiteley at ee.leeds.ac.uk
Phone +44 (0)113 343 2059
Faculty of Engineering
The University of Leeds. Leeds, LS2 9JT,  UK