[Wylug-help] New camcorder with usb2 transfer

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jan 22 17:36:58 GMT 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Dave Whiteley wrote:

> I have had pretty good success in getting data via USB from my digital camera,
> which also supports some movie formats, using Digicam.  I have found that it
> works pretty well from scratch on a newish Kubuntu installation.
>
> On my camera there is a MPT(?  Microshaft Picture Transfer of some such))
> transfer format, and rather than searching for my camera in the config list
> you just choose the MPT? camera via USB and it works.

I believe digital cameras are normally different to video cameras.  Firewire
cameras consider video data to be a stream, whereas a typical usb digital
camara (using PTP) considers itself to be a store of photos.  So I'm not sure
there would be much relation between the two.  I've only ever used kino with
video cameras, and that's firewire only AFAIK.

jh

--
"As machines become more and more efficient and perfect, so it will become
  clear that imperfection is the greatness of man."   -- Ernst Fischer