[Wylug-help] Starting a network connection

Craig Hopkins c.o.hopkins at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 22:14:26 BST 2007

john at bopa.co.uk wrote:
> I'm in a sticky situation having booted up from a Linux SystemRecueCD on laptop which has a dodgy disk, which I can't reboot for fear of losing data.
>
> I need to copy some data onto my lan but am unsure of how to get the network started. Do I need to enable the lan port before I use it? And is there any way to tell if it is enabled in the BIOS?

If you have a router that gives out IP addresses (or some similar
network), then "sudo dhclient eth0" should do the work for you and get
you on the network. This will activate the card then try and get an IP
address for you
> I've run ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.0 but can't ping anything else on the network.

Is this the IP range of the other machines on your network? If not, they
may not be able to see each other

Craig