[Wylug-help] Starting a network connection

john at bopa.co.uk john at bopa.co.uk
Sun Jul 15 22:02:12 BST 2007

I'm in a sticky situation having booted up from a Linux SystemRecueCD on laptop which has a dodgy disk, which I can't reboot for fear of losing data.

I need to copy some data onto my lan but am unsure of how to get the network started. Do I need to enable the lan port before I use it? And is there any way to tell if it is enabled in the BIOS?

I've run ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.0 but can't ping anything else on the network.

Any help would be appreciated.