[Wylug-help] cp backup problem

Shaun Laughey shaun at laughey.com
Wed Jul 18 10:38:14 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 10:14 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I'm having problems with the following:
>
> cp /home/anne/Backups/std.vcf /Data/Backup/std_1.vcf
> cp /home/anne/Backups/std_1.vcf /Data/Backup/std_2.vcf
> cp /home/anne/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf /Data/Backup/
>
> which gives rise to
>
> cp: setting attributes for `/Data/Backup/std_1.vcf': Operation not supported
> cp: setting attributes for `/Data/Backup/std_2.vcf': Operation not supported
> cp: setting attributes for `/Data/Backup/std.vcf': Operation not supported
>
> /Data is on a separate partition:
>
> drwxrwxr-t  37 anne users  2048 Jul 15 17:43 Data/
>
> What is this attribute problem?  I used to run an almost identical script, but
> that was within my home directory.  All the same, it feels like permissions,
> but I can't see why.
>
> Anne

Hiya Anne,

How are you mounting /Data?
What format is it? EXT3/XFS? FAT32?

Windows formats FAT32, NTFS don't support linux permissions and use
their own weirdness for that. I get that error copying to my MP3 player
which is FAT based.

Many distros prevent setuid and other properties on removable drives
even if they are using xfs, ext3.

Perhaps you have got a security limit set in the fstab (/etc/fstab).

HTH,

Shaun Laughey.