[Wylug-help] cp backup problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 18 11:56:30 BST 2007

On Wednesday 18 Jul 2007, Shaun Laughey wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 10:14 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I'm having problems with the following:
> >
> > cp /home/anne/Backups/std.vcf /Data/Backup/std_1.vcf
> > cp /home/anne/Backups/std_1.vcf /Data/Backup/std_2.vcf
> > cp /home/anne/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf /Data/Backup/
> >
> > which gives rise to
> >
> > cp: setting attributes for `/Data/Backup/std_1.vcf': Operation not
> > supported cp: setting attributes for `/Data/Backup/std_2.vcf': Operation
> > not supported cp: setting attributes for `/Data/Backup/std.vcf':
> > Operation not supported
> >
> > /Data is on a separate partition:
> >
> > drwxrwxr-t  37 anne users  2048 Jul 15 17:43 Data/
> >
> > What is this attribute problem?  I used to run an almost identical
> > script, but that was within my home directory.  All the same, it feels
> > like permissions, but I can't see why.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Hiya Anne,
>
> How are you mounting /Data?
> What format is it? EXT3/XFS? FAT32?
>
> Windows formats FAT32, NTFS don't support linux permissions and use
> their own weirdness for that. I get that error copying to my MP3 player
> which is FAT based.
>
> Many distros prevent setuid and other properties on removable drives
> even if they are using xfs, ext3.

It's a hard drive partition.

> Perhaps you have got a security limit set in the fstab (/etc/fstab).

/dev/hda7 /Data ext3 defaults 1 2

I did wonder about the 't' flag, but I own the files to move, the directory to
move them to, and the relevant files in the destination, and I'm running the
script as me, so it shouldn't have been a problem, I think.  OTOH, I can't
remember where I got the info about this, so I can't check it.