[Wylug-help] ubuntu window problem

Chris Davies MBCS chris.davies at bcs.org.uk
Mon Jul 30 16:55:52 BST 2007

scott wrote:
> I have installed ubuntu 7.04, because I am crap with linux and need
> something simple.  After the updates I now have no windows (as in the
> surround for an application i.e minimize maximize and shut down button)
> I have installed beryl so I can move the applications around and now the
> windows application is saying that beryl hasn’t configured a windows
> manager.  Every time I type something in to a search engine to find a
> solution M$ windows pops up not a linux windows manager problem.  Could
> anyone help?

It appears to be an intermittent problem with compiz and beryl when running
Gnome. I've been struggling with it for a few days (Debian: Etch/Lenny) and
I've decided the eye candy isn't (yet) worth the hassle. Abandon beryl for
now, and go back to the ordinary 2D desktop (with metacity as the window manager).

Chris