[Wylug-help] Re: Spam filtering.

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jun 18 08:49:13 BST 2007

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, Richard Ibbotson wrote:

> Chris
>
>> How is it recommended that I do this? I have a Debian based
>> fileserver that also does a few other bits & pieces. Should I set
>> up a mailserver as well?
>
> You can use Postfix, Fetchmail, Procmail, SpamAssassin, Mail::Audit.
> Use Google to search for configuration files and so forth.

And depending on what mail client you use, don't entirely ignore inbuilt
filtering.  Thunderbird's spam filtering isn't hideous, and if you happened to
be already using it, the startup effort is less that t'other solutions.

>> The choice is confusing. Would Postfix & Dspam do the trick, or is
>> there a more suitable combination?
>
> try 'apt-cache search spamassassin' .  spamd and spamc are also
> helpful.

spamassasin's what I use, and it's fairly effective.  I never expect spam
filters to be 100%, but I seem to have hit a happy medium with SA, such that I
get no false positives, and about 95% of spam is filtered.

jh

--
"Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
  They have to take you in."                          -- Robert Frost