[Wylug-help] NetworkManager & resolv.conf

Craig Hopkins jha4coh at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Jun 22 12:57:23 BST 2007

Smylers wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 on this laptop, with NetworkManager enabled and
> both the wireless and the wired network interfaces set to 'roaming'.
>
> It roams very well between the wireless networks that it knows about: I
> can just turn up at one of them, unhibernate, and the networking works.
>
> But if I connect it to a wired network (in a place where it isn't
> authorized on any wireless networks that happen to be in the vicinity)
> it sometimes doesn't automatically update resolv.conf in accordance with
> the local DHCP.  That is, it does DHCP and connect to the network
> (ifconfig shows that I have an IP address), but /etc/resolv.conf is
> unchanged, still with the nameserver entries for whichever wireless
> network I most recently left.
>
> Clicking on the NetworkManager icon in the dock lists the available
> networks, with the radio buttion next to 'Wired Network' indicating that
> it's selected.  Clicking on that item dis- and reconnects to the wired
> network, this time successfully updating resolv.conf.  And all is well.
>
> But is there anything I can to do make it do this correctly in the first
> place?

NetworkManager is not without its problems. Wasn't there a problem on
Edgy where it didn't work at all for a period? If you google, you'll see
this thing turning up quite a lot. Something I've found suggests that
removing the resolvconf package helps, as it stops the normal networking
rules getting in the way and lets NM update resolv.conf on its own, but
there may be a better way. I confess I've never seen this problem personally

Craig