[Wylug-help] NetworkManager & resolv.conf

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Fri Jun 22 10:16:33 BST 2007

I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 on this laptop, with NetworkManager enabled and
both the wireless and the wired network interfaces set to 'roaming'.

It roams very well between the wireless networks that it knows about: I
can just turn up at one of them, unhibernate, and the networking works.

But if I connect it to a wired network (in a place where it isn't
authorized on any wireless networks that happen to be in the vicinity)
it sometimes doesn't automatically update resolv.conf in accordance with
the local DHCP.  That is, it does DHCP and connect to the network
(ifconfig shows that I have an IP address), but /etc/resolv.conf is
unchanged, still with the nameserver entries for whichever wireless
network I most recently left.

Clicking on the NetworkManager icon in the dock lists the available
networks, with the radio buttion next to 'Wired Network' indicating that
it's selected.  Clicking on that item dis- and reconnects to the wired
network, this time successfully updating resolv.conf.  And all is well.

But is there anything I can to do make it do this correctly in the first
place?

Thanks.

Smylers