[Wylug-help] What am I missing (router question)

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Wed May 2 15:33:37 BST 2007

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Roger Greenwood wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a broadband router on 192.168.1.1 (new, default setting)
> I changed my local machine to fixed IP at 192.168.1.20
> Connect the 2 together - all OK - got broadband at last.
>
> Now I have another wireless hub/router (Netgear MR814v2) on IP 192.168.0.7
> which has been used as a 4 port hub for years without problem, 2 x local
> machines previously on 192.168.0.1 & 2 and all worked fine, connecting to
> internet via dialup modem.
>
> Now :- I connect the netgear hub to the broadband router via the WAN port as
> per the standard netgear diagram - and I cannot get to either machine no
> matter what setting I use on the local machine.
>
> Set the local machine back to 192.168.1.20, connect the machine and the
> netgear router without using the WAN port i.e. just use it as a hub - now can
> connect to the broadband router OK and get back out to the internet - all
> seems to work fine again. But this is not how it should work.
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

why do you say that? There is NO "one way(TM)" to network. There are
choices and design decisions. I'd keep it simple and stick to one subnet
say 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

Give all kit a fixed ip in the range 192.168.1.1-254 and you'll get
connectivity. Ignore the "WAN" port on the wireless hub/router.

> Same scenario with another computer - fix IP at 192.168.1.30 and can get
> through the hub to the broadband router. Cannot get back to the hub whatever
> settings I use (restarting network between changes).

Give the netgear a fixed IP on the 192.168.1.0 network and you'll be
able to connect to it.

> The real reason for trying to sort this is I want one of the machines to
> connect wirelessly - which obviously doesn't work at the moment either.

The wireless should work as long as you configure the wireless interface
on the computer with a fixed address in the 192.168.1.0 network.

> I have been exploring with ifconfig, ethereal, iwconfig, nmap, ping and
> firewall settings but have run out of ideas.
>
> The fact that I can get through the hub to the router eliminates most cable
> and card (hardware) problems. I understand that to get back to the hub I have
> to reset my machine to 192.168.0.x - but this doesn't work either now!
>
> Both local machines running SuSE 9.3 or 10.0
>
> Some new pointers appreciated - any better tools for this kind of problem?
>
> Must be something very basic?

Yes basic networking. It looks like we need to get someone to do a
networking for beginners talk

Jim