[Wylug-help] What am I missing (router question)

Roger Greenwood rg at nthong.freeserve.co.uk
Wed May 2 20:23:11 BST 2007

On Wednesday 02 May 2007 15:33, Jim Jackson wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Roger Greenwood wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have a broadband router on 192.168.1.1 (new, default setting)
> > I changed my local machine to fixed IP at 192.168.1.20
> > Connect the 2 together - all OK - got broadband at last.
> >
> > Now I have another wireless hub/router (Netgear MR814v2) on IP
> > 192.168.0.7 which has been used as a 4 port hub for years without
> > problem, 2 x local machines previously on 192.168.0.1 & 2 and all worked
> > fine, connecting to internet via dialup modem.
> >
> > Now :- I connect the netgear hub to the broadband router via the WAN port
> > as per the standard netgear diagram - and I cannot get to either machine
> > no matter what setting I use on the local machine.
> >
> > Set the local machine back to 192.168.1.20, connect the machine and the
> > netgear router without using the WAN port i.e. just use it as a hub - now
> > can connect to the broadband router OK and get back out to the internet -
> > all seems to work fine again. But this is not how it should work.
>
>                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> why do you say that? There is NO "one way(TM)" to network. There are
> choices and design decisions. I'd keep it simple and stick to one subnet
> say 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

I said that based on the diagram/advice from netgear - I also thought I would
be a bit better protected if I used the WAN port. So far I am still on the
one subnet as it works at the moment. Good advice though  - KISS.

> Give all kit a fixed ip in the range 192.168.1.1-254 and you'll get
> connectivity. Ignore the "WAN" port on the wireless hub/router.
>
> > Same scenario with another computer - fix IP at 192.168.1.30 and can get
> > through the hub to the broadband router. Cannot get back to the hub
> > whatever settings I use (restarting network between changes).
>
> Give the netgear a fixed IP on the 192.168.1.0 network and you'll be
> able to connect to it.
>
> > The real reason for trying to sort this is I want one of the machines to
> > connect wirelessly - which obviously doesn't work at the moment either.
>
> The wireless should work as long as you configure the wireless interface
> on the computer with a fixed address in the 192.168.1.0 network.
>
> > I have been exploring with ifconfig, ethereal, iwconfig, nmap, ping and
> > firewall settings but have run out of ideas.
> >
> > The fact that I can get through the hub to the router eliminates most
> > cable and card (hardware) problems. I understand that to get back to the
> > hub I have to reset my machine to 192.168.0.x - but this doesn't work
> > either now!
> >
> > Both local machines running SuSE 9.3 or 10.0
> >
> > Some new pointers appreciated - any better tools for this kind of
> > problem?
> >
> > Must be something very basic?
>
> Yes basic networking. It looks like we need to get someone to do a
> networking for beginners talk
Thanks Jim - the bit about subnets and masks I have read before (many times),
but I didn't really "get it", until now, in a way that I could apply it. Not
having had a chance to setup networks before, it helps to actually do it for
real.

--
Pure drivel tends to drive ordinary drivel off of the TV screen.