[Wylug-help] Rsync is broken?

Shaun Laughey shaun at laughey.com
Wed May 9 13:07:25 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 21:37 +0100, RichardA wrote:
> So I reinstalled and tried my rsync script again.. it failed. The same
> disk, OS and script worked on different hardware, so my Via C3 is
> broken.
>
> I've been running it 24/7 for most of the last eight years, so perhaps
> I shouldn't be surprised (should I?). I'm bidding on a Linksys NSLU2 on
> E-Bay right now, does anyone out there run a 'slug'?
>
> By the way, thanks Jim, Dave, David and John. I'd be stuck without a
> group of more knowledgable people to ask stupid questions of.

Hiya Richard I've been running my open slug with a 250gb hard drive for
about a year now. It has my hot backups of my home directory and some of
my own subversion repositories and my attempt at a media server with
some music on that one day will stream to my Netgear MP101 when I'm not
so busy programming other peoples products.

The install and everything was easy - one thing that was a pain -
getting a cross compiler to work as compiling on the slug was not a
great idea.

All in all I love the slug. It's low cost from the electricity point of
view (it replaced a dual P3 Compaq proliant) and more than adequate for
file storage and media serving.

It's lack of processing and memory means server software in general
won't run well e.g. apache, postgres, mysql but other older (better
designed?/less monolithic/less functional) things work fine.

But its I/O bandwidth is as good as any servers' when it comes to USB
and for file storage, subversion/CVS and overnight backups it's a
welcome addition to the office. I might get round to making it a printer
server too...

Shaun Laughey.