[Wylug-help] Laptop External Display

Aaron Crane wylug at aaroncrane.co.uk
Wed May 23 12:52:54 BST 2007

Smylers writes:
> Oh, and how do I find out what my current resolution is?

That bit I can answer:

  $ xdpyinfo | grep -B1 dimensions
  screen #0:
    dimensions:    1280x800 pixels (433x271 millimeters)

> Mark Randall writes:
> > With regard to running two different displays - I think you need two
> > graphics cards to achieve this, so the answer is no.
>
> That's what I suspected.

I don't think that's so, though it's not necessarily the case that you'll be
able to do it on your particular laptop.  Googling for "i810 dual-head"
(without quotes) suggests that at least some people have managed it in at
least some situations.  I think part of the deal is that to do it with only
one graphics card, that card must have multiple "pipes"; see i810(4) for
some tantalising hints.

--
Aaron Crane