[Wylug-help] Laptop External Display

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed May 23 15:22:36 BST 2007

On Wed, 23 May 2007, Aaron Crane wrote:

> Smylers writes:
>>
>> That's what I suspected.
>
> I don't think that's so, though it's not necessarily the case that you'll be
> able to do it on your particular laptop.  Googling for "i810 dual-head"
> (without quotes) suggests that at least some people have managed it in at
> least some situations.  I think part of the deal is that to do it with only
> one graphics card, that card must have multiple "pipes"; see i810(4) for
> some tantalising hints.

Even that wording fails with some strange folk.  In SGI speak, a pipe is a
graphics card and a channel is an output...  ;)

I'd also add that "card" isn't a particularly useful moniker either.  Matrox
used to sell (and I assume still do sell) one physical card with 4 graphics
chipsets on each supporting a single monitor, while at the same time selling a
single chipset card that supported three monitors.

Where it really comes to matter is when you want to run separate X servers on
the different outputs.  But I digress...

It could be a resolution issue as far as the shimmering goes, but it's hard to
know.  Set it to a non-widescreen resolution (1024x768 would be my choice) and
see what gives.  Certainly the internal screen should be happy with that
resolution.

jh

--
"Women need a reason to have sex.  Men just need a place."
                                                      -- Billy Crystal