[Wylug-help] Madwifi and FC6

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue May 29 10:53:53 BST 2007

On Monday 28 May 2007 22:06:46 John Hodrien wrote:
> On Mon, 28 May 2007, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I've installed a wireless card into an FC box.  It is an X-Micro, which
> > apparently uses atheros drivers.
> >
> > I've been following the madwifi instructions, and have got
> > the to part of setting WPA-PSK
> > (http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/802.11i). The final command listed in
> > this section is
> >
> > /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -dd -D
> > madwifi -iath0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
> >
> > or is it
> >
> > /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -dd -Dmadwifi -iath0
> > -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf ?
> >
> > It looks like the second one, though I thought the first more likely.
> > Either way, I just got dozens of lines of 'Invalid ESSID line' messages.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> I have a hunch that you're making you life really hard.  When I set up wpa
> with my intel chipset on FC, I installed the wireless driver, then did:
>
> chkconfig NetworkManager on
> chkconfig NetworkManagerDispatcher on
>
> /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
> /etc/init.d/NetworkManagerDispatcher start
>
> Then run the network manager gnome applet:
>
> nm-applet
>
> Select the network you want to connect to with that, provide it with your
> WPA password.  Admittedly, you might be deliberately avoiding using
> NetworkManager.

No, I wasn't.  I knew I had read something about NetworkManager, but couldn't
remember anything about it.  I didn't even know whether it was installed.
However, the commands worked without a problem, but nm-applet tells me that
it can find no connection.  Probably I'd be as well leaving this until
tomorrow - unless you have any more ideas.  I'm going to CCL tomorrow anyway,
so I'll buy an antenna adapter/extended.  I seriously doubt whether the short
supplied antenna can actually get much of a signal, so I need to lift it to
line-of-sight.

If you think I'm on the wrong track there, do say so, but this is a PCI card,
and the antenna barely clears the box case.