[Wylug-help] Madwifi and FC6

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue May 29 15:43:12 BST 2007

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Anne Wilson wrote:

> No, I wasn't.  I knew I had read something about NetworkManager, but couldn't
> remember anything about it.  I didn't even know whether it was installed.
> However, the commands worked without a problem, but nm-applet tells me that
> it can find no connection.  Probably I'd be as well leaving this until
> tomorrow - unless you have any more ideas.  I'm going to CCL tomorrow anyway,
> so I'll buy an antenna adapter/extended.  I seriously doubt whether the short
> supplied antenna can actually get much of a signal, so I need to lift it to
> line-of-sight.

I guess it's promising that it thinks you have no connection rather than no
wifi card if you see what I mean.

> If you think I'm on the wrong track there, do say so, but this is a PCI card,
> and the antenna barely clears the box case.

As I said, I've only tried this route with two different intel chipset based
laptops, so it could behave somewhat differently.  I've certainly found
wpa_supplicant to be driver sensitive.

jh

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
  accepting it."                                      -- Aristotle