[Wylug-help] Messed up installation.

John Leach john at johnleach.co.uk
Sat Nov 3 17:36:30 GMT 2007

hi Douglas,

to use mount, you tell it the device you want to mount (usually in
the /dev directory) and the mount point you want to mount it on (usually
an empty directory, often in the /mnt directory).

and to specify options for mount, you use the -o argument.  So for
read-only mode:

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows -o ro

make sure the mount point exists: mkdir /mnt/windows

and make sure you're actually mounting the right partition.  An easy way
to do this is to use the "file" command, which looks in a file (or
device) and tells you what it thinks it is.  It's non-destructive, so
poke it wherever you like.  So on my box:

file -s /dev/sda
/dev/sda: x86 boot sector; GRand Unified Bootloader, stage1 version 0x3, stage2 address 0x2000, stage2 segment 0x200; partition 2: ID=0x8e, starthead 0, startsector 498960, 175785120 sectors, code offset 0x48

file -s /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1: Linux rev 1.0 ext3 filesystem data (needs journal recovery)

I don't have a windows partition so I can't show you what file's output
will be like, but it should be self explanatory.

I've not used ntfsfix or anything like that before, so I can't help you
there.  Mounting in read-only mode sounds like it will help you at least
recover your data though ("-o ro" as in my example)

All the best.

John.

--
http://johnleach.co.uk