[Wylug-help] Colour printer buying advice

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Mon Oct 15 22:01:22 BST 2007

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 07:55:36PM +0100, Scott Hodgson wrote:
> A couple of points you may want to look into:
> 1: depending on the length left inactive, ink will dry up or clog the
> droplet holes.

Tends to be worst with Epson, because the print heads are fixed in the
printer, ergo, blocked heads, dead printer.

This is different with HP because the print heads are in the cartridges
- new cartridge, new print head too.

> 2: Both HP and Epson are good for photo work, But for bulk ink supplies
> or cheaper cartridges Epson are better than HP as they have chips on the
> cartridge which usually takes longer to crack than Epsons.

I've had numerous problems with generic/refilled cartridges. I always
buy the proper brand ones because they always work 100% and I'd rather
spend a couple of quid extra than waste my time faffing with refill kits
or running page after page of nozzle clean test prints. Life's too
short.

Really - if I'd nothing better to do than p*ss around getting an 'all
lines' alignment print, I'd save the pennies and get refills, but my
time is worth more than that.

FWIY, I've had my HP Photosmart 8150 for 12+ months, using it every now
and again for colour prints and (excellent quality) photos, and it's
only just run out the cartridges it came with.

James