[Wylug-help] rpm install data

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Wed Sep 5 09:28:33 BST 2007

On 4 Sep 2007, at 17:25, Don Magee wrote:
> Anyone know how to hack the rpm data so that yum/rpm knows that
> packages built from source are available?

By far the simplest way is to build the packages as rpms and then
install them.
Its technically possible to do it other ways, but considerably harder
and more prone to error.

On 4 Sep 2007, at 18:51, Lee Evans wrote:
> I'm not sure how to do exactly what you ask, but you can just give the
> --nodeps flag to install the RPM regardless.

In general doing this can lead to real pain down the line (because
you now have broken dependancy chains in the database).  You may find
that upgrades do not work correctly.

If using package management its much safer to not bypass it.

There is another wrinkle here...
You are on a 64 bit system.  I see on livna at least (http://
rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/MyStartingPage) that vlc appears to only be
available as a 32 bit package (it may only be possible to use 32 bit
if it pulls in windows codecs), so all the libraries it needs must
also be built 32 bit.  So installing it is likely to pull in a huge
lump of 32 bit runtime.  This may be messy.

	Nigel.