[Wylug-help] Getting a SATA II drive to work as SATA I

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 6 14:38:08 BST 2007

I'm clutching at straws, hoping that these error messages mean something to
someone.

This motherboard only has SATA I, and I can't upgrade just yet.  The drives I
have are Hitachi drives, and they have no jumpers.  Hitachi tech. support
pointed me to a download page where they offer a CD image and a floppy one.
My ancient floppy drive is dodgy so I tried the CD one first.  Unfortunately
I had the same problem with both.

Both got through the boot sequence (they run PC-DOS) and continued to list my
IDE had and optical drives.  Then they crashed, with:

Unhandled exception at 01F7:27E9 Error code:0000

AX=000D BX=FFF6 CX=FC55 DX=015C
SI=01D0 DI=CA8D BF=0FA6 SP=0F98
CS=01F7 Limit=8690 segment #01 of A:FTOOL/EXE
DS=0627 Limit=17FF
ES=058F Limit=CABC segment #3B of A:FTOOL.EXE
SS=058F Limit=CABC segment #3B of A:FTOOL.EXE
- 01F7:27E1 7E 06 87 CB F3 A4 8B CB F3 AA 1F 8B 56 08 8B 46
Unhandled exception 000D at 00B7 224E ErrCode 6E64

I reported it back to Hitachi, who replied with a totally irrelevant message,
about drives not being recognised during a Linux installation.  They actually
quote Fedora 3 as an example!

Has anyone any ideas for dealing with a situation like this?  I know it's
unlikely, but.....