[Wylug-help] Getting a SATA II drive to work as SATA I

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Sep 6 15:18:06 BST 2007

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I'm clutching at straws, hoping that these error messages mean something to
> someone.
>
> This motherboard only has SATA I, and I can't upgrade just yet.  The drives I
> have are Hitachi drives, and they have no jumpers.  Hitachi tech. support
> pointed me to a download page where they offer a CD image and a floppy one.
> My ancient floppy drive is dodgy so I tried the CD one first.  Unfortunately
> I had the same problem with both.

I don't suppose the wikipedia provided information is of any use:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA#Backward_and_forward_compatibility

    "According to the hard drive manufacturer Maxtor, motherboard host
     controllers using the VIA and SIS chipsets VT8237, VT8237R, VT6420,
     VT6421L, SIS760, SIS964 found on the ECS 755-A2 which was manufactured in
     2003, do not support SATA II 300 drives."

    "Users with a SATA-150 motherboard with one of the listed chipsets should
     either buy an ordinary SATA-150 hard disk, buy a SATA-300 hard disk with
     the user-accessible jumper, or buy a PCI or PCI-E card to add full SATA II
     capability and compatibility."
jh

--
"Is encouragement what the poet needs?  Open questions.  Maybe he needs
  discouragement.  In fact, quite a few of them need more discouragement, the