[Wylug-help] hand-held device with bar-code reader

Mike Goodman mike.goodman at zen.co.uk
Tue Dec 2 20:00:56 UTC 2008

Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I'm looking to develop a wharehouse style catalog system which will include a
> hand-held device which will include a bar-code reader.

There are a number of OS ERP-cum-warehousing-cum-logistics-cum PoS
applications around. Most run on PostgreSQL so you're already familiar.
I'll go back through what we've found out to date and report back with
one or two which sound the part.

> The idea is for the user to scan a bar code containing a serial number, and
> then be able to enter a row letter and bay number to record where the unit
> is.

Yes, there are options in that area.

> I would like the unit to be able to store this information and then sync to
> the main database when it is in range.  The area being covered is about 4
> acres.

That's big. It will probably need wifi or infra red points dotted around
for relaying.

> Does anyone have suggestions for:
>
> device to use
> platform (presumably linux based not not essential)

Oh, yes it is! ;-)

> develpment platform
>
> or
>
> anything out there that will already do the job.
>
> Gary

Mike