[Wylug-help] hand-held device with bar-code reader

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 10:21:35 UTC 2008

Hi Gary,

  Don't forget that some development with barcodes has been done on
Symbian-based devices (non-windows smartphones), generally using the
camera of modern phones.  This could be a way to get round having the
intricate web of wifi, as you could use the data connection of the
phone to transfer to and from the datacentre.

  I haven't done any research into the various options, but the
variety of open-source Symbian apps makes me think that the majority
of programming skills are transferable to these devices.

  Check http://www.symbianos.org for examples and other info on
symbian programming.  There is good news as well, in that the OS
itself is being opensourced.

  Of course I haven't really answered the call very well, but perhaps
given you a useful extra direction to look in.

Cheers,
--
Martyn Ranyard
[you have as much chance] as the Hubble telescope does of discovering