[Wylug-help] Web page problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 28 10:50:45 UTC 2008

On Sunday 28 December 2008 10:22:03 Philip Wyett wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-12-28 at 07:40 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I spent the whole of yesterday working on a web page for a club.  The
> > page uses a script to run a slideshow, and I've done several pages like
> > this before.  I could not get the slideshow to run, so to try to find the
> > problem I copied a shorter page that I know does run into the working
> > directory, and simply changed the name of the pictures.  It didn't run.
>
> These tests are all being performed on the local or remote server?

Locally - I'm waiting for a little more info anyway before I could upload, so
there's time to get this sorted.  It's just that I'm tearing my hair out.  Web
design isn't my forte - I just maintain what's there.

> What language is the scripting and is it embedded in page or imported?

It's a simple javascript, quite well-known:
/*
Interactive Image slideshow with text description
By Christian Carlessi Salvad� (cocolinks at c.net.gt). Keep this notice intact.
Visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com for script
*/

It runs on several pages of the club's website and I've never had this problem
before.

> Have you tested the images normally in a browser to basically check
> there is no corruption or anything odd in the images file headers etc.?

The images display perfectly in a browser and load into Gimp.

> > I've checked permissions.  I've gone through the code line by line and it
> > is identical to the page that runs.  I've totally run out of things to
> > check and desperately need some hints.  Thanks
>
> If the files are identical bar image filenames, I would have picked
> through the code line by line as a last resort as the eye does miss
> things and would have used 'diff' instead as it misses nothing. ;-)

The only problem with diff is the wealth of information.  I have used it,
kdiff, anyway, and I don't think I've missed anything.

If I upload the whole folder to my own webspace, would you be so kind as to
take a look and see if there is anything really obvious?  Thanks