[Wylug-help] Samba tamed

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 23 07:33:16 GMT 2008

I have finally tamed samba.  It seems that this version of samba,
3.0.25b-1.el5_1.4, assumes a domain.  From the start I have queried why error
messages keep referring to a domain.  This is a simple home lan, and has
never been configured as a domain server.  In the end I decided to follow the
trail from the error message, and set 'domain master = no' but that just
caused it to look elsewhere.  However, when I tried 'domain master = yes' the
error messages went away.  I haven't seen any such messages for 36 hours now,
and nmbd has not died once in that time.  I believe the problem is solved.

I have been using samba for several years, and still have it installed on
workstations for sharing folders (this laptop has
samba-server-3.0.25b-4.4mdv2008.0) and have never had to use that setting.
Perhaps it is related to the fact that the server is running an enterprise
version?  I don't know.