[Wylug-help] Garmin gps problem

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Wed Feb 20 13:30:24 GMT 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 01:24:24PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 February 2008 10:31:54 you wrote:
> > Good stuff - do let me know how you get on.
>
> I'm struggling to get started.  hal/udev didn't recognise the usb connection.
> Would you expect it to?
>
> I understand that the serial port command I need is
>
> gpsbabel -t -i garmin -f /dev/ttyS1  -o gpx -F track1.gpx
>
> but I'm not sure how to find the connection point that replaces /dev/ttyS1.
> If the interface hasn't been recognised, I suspect that I'm stuck.

Try /dev/ttyUSB0

Failing that, see what dmesg gives. It'll say something like "Found USB
serial device ttyUSB0.

If you're trying to run as a normal user, you may need to tweak the
permissions on the device. Adding yourself to the dialout group may make
it work.

Do a "ls -l /dev/ttyUSB*" to see what the perms/ownership is like.

I put my first roads on the map last night from a trace I did driving to
work :-)

Cheers,

James