[Wylug-help] EeePC

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Fri Jan 4 21:33:07 GMT 2008

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I got mine today, but am struggling on a couple of things.  I know that some
> of you out there have had them for a while, so perhaps you can help.  I'm
> sure I read somewhere that there was a sort of Expert mode that would give a
> more familiar interface, but I can't find it, nor is there any mention in the
> User Guide.
>
> Is there really no console?  Without it troubleshooting must be well-nigh
> impossible.

Ctl-Alt-T  gets an xterm.

sudo sh -i

or similar gets you root.

> I can't find any way to add users or to change passwords.  Anyone found that?
> On one screen, somewhere, I added an Adminstrator account, and think that the
> CapsLock was on.  I can't even see how to test it, never mind change it if it
> is wrong.  The login screen automatically shows me and asks for my password.
> There's no opportunity to type in another user name.

The simple mode is essentially "single user", certainly as far at X is
concerned, and that user has to be "user" unless you wish to do a lot of
rewriting of some scripts.

For a lot more info I found the EeeUser site useful, it's at

   http://www.eeeuser.com/

user forums/fora and a wiki.

cheers
Jim