[Wylug-help] Mail problem

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Sat Jan 26 13:11:47 GMT 2008

Anne Wilson writes:

> ...  there are a lot of messages stuck in an mbox file in my home
> directory.  It's quite a big file, so it would take me a very long
> time to try to separate them and forward them to myself - if in fact
> that's even possible.

Remember that Procmail can be invoked manually as a user as well as
being a component of mail delivery.  You should be able to write some
recipes describing where you want which mail to be, then tell Procmail
to use those recipes on that mbox.

Personally I'd do this using mutt.  You can use mutt -f to open it on an
arbitrary mbox, then you can use its powerful pattern matching to select
and process mail matching abitrary criteria of your choice:

  http://www.mutt.org/doc/devel/manual.html#patterns

Use T to tag messages matching particular criteria, then ; to act on the
currently tagged messages, for example ;s to specify somewhere to save
them (if that somewhere is a maildir then Mutt will DTRT) or ;b to
specify an alternative e-mail address to bounce them to.

Quite possibly there are other mail clients which could also be used in
this way.

Good luck!

Smylers