[Wylug-help] Sound problems in Kubuntu: Do I have a kernel issue?

John Erskine john.erskine at phonecoop.coop
Tue Jul 22 20:24:45 BST 2008

Running Hardy 8.04 on AMD 64, with nvidia MCP51 High Definition Audio card

I'm having a problem with sound on my Hardy installation, after an abortive
installation of some updates recently. As the installation slowed badly I
switched off like an idiot. Hence the problem...

I've sorted the file system with fsck, and I recovered the screen resolution
too.

However a number of attempts haven't yielded a solution to the problem of no
sound.

Kmix shows the red circle with the white X, and the message 'Mixer cannot be
found'

I've checked system settings, and that hasn't sorted anything. I've also used
a few guides, particularly the one at Ubuntu Forums (Comprehensive Sound
Problems Solutions Guide)

Unfortunately, much of this is negated as I can't find if there's an ALSA
driver for my soundcard.

I've opened a terminal and run a few scripts. The sequence that I've used is

 aplay -l
 aplay: device_list:205: no soundcards found...

then I've also run

sudo lspci -v

and got

 00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
 Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 81cb
 Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
 Memory at fe028000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
 Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask+ 64bit+ Queue=0/0
Enable-
 Capabilities: [6c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping

Then I tried

 'sudo modprobe snd-'

 which gets the response

 FATAL: Module snd_ not found.

 Then

 'lsmod | grep snd:'

 which didn't get any response

 I followed this with

 'sudo apt-get --purge remove linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils'

 this runs, and generates the following error message

 (Reading database ... dpkg: error
processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image
 -2.6.24-19-generic_2.6.24-19.36_i386.deb (--unpack):
 files list file for package `linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic' is missing final
newline
 /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic_2.6.24-19.36_i386.deb
 Processing was halted because there were too many errors.

Running any variant of apt-get (update, install, upgrade) always comes up with
the same error message.

Any ideas on what I've got wrong?

John Erskine