[Wylug-help] Topfield PVR Recordings

Aaron Crane wylug at aaroncrane.co.uk
Mon Jun 16 11:53:38 BST 2008

Smylers writes:
>   $ projectx radio_prog.rec
>
> creates radio_prog.mp2, which happily plays with Totem, and Amarok (two
> players which wouldn't play the original .rec file).
>
> I haven't tried, but I'm guessing my MP3 player won't play it though.
> How do I convert MP2 to MP3?  Or can Project X be persuade to emit MP3?

My guess is that there's a good chance your MP3 player can play the
MP2 file (though it might expect you to do something silly like
renaming it to .mp3 first).  MP2 is "MPEG-1 Layer 2", and MP3 is
"MPEG-2 Layer 3"; every software MP3 player I've ever seen can also
handle MP2, because they're actually very similar.

If your player can't, and if Project X has no MP3 output option, you can
use Lame to convert MP2 to MP3.  (There are patent issues surrounding
the use of MP3 encoders, so it's entirely possibly that Project X has no
MP3-encoding option.)  The simplest way of doing that is:

    lame radio_prog.mp2

which will create a file radio_prog.mp2.mp3.

Lame seems to be in Hardy multiverse.

--
Aaron Crane ** http://aaroncrane.co.uk/