[Wylug-help] Topfield PVR Recordings

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Mon Jun 16 11:31:37 BST 2008

John Hodrien writes:

> I'd be interested to know what ProjectX makes of it.

  $ projectx radio_prog.rec

creates radio_prog.mp2, which happily plays with Totem, and Amarok (two
players which wouldn't play the original .rec file).

I haven't tried, but I'm guessing my MP3 player won't play it though.
How do I convert MP2 to MP3?  Or can Project X be persuade to emit MP3?

Of the log created as a byproduct, the only lines obviously pertaining
to what it's identified the input file as are:

  -> Filetype is TS (generic PES Container)

  Audio:
  PID: 0x1B1(eng)(#2)

  --> MPEG Audio (0xC0) on PID 0x1B1

I tried the same thing with tv_prog.rec, with less succecss:

  -> Filetype is TS (generic PES Container)

  Video:
  PID: 0x300(#1)
  Audio:
  PID: 0x301(eng)(#138)
  wID: 0x302(eng)(#148)

  --> MPEG Audio (0xC0) on PID 0x302
  -> check CRC of AC-3 / MPEG-Audio L1,2
  -> delete CRC in MPEG-Audio Layer1,2
  -> add frames
  Audio PTS: first packet 00:32:40.674, last packet 01:02:46.266
  Video PTS: start 1.GOP 00:32:41.446, end last GOP 01:02:46.166
  -> adjusting audio at video-timeline
  !> missing syncword @  5760, @ 00:00:00.000
  !> found syncword @ 5824
  -> src_audio: MPEG-1, Layer2, 48000Hz, mono, 64kbps, CRC @
  00:00:00.000
  stopped...
  !> an error has occured..  (please inform the authors at
  'forum.dvbtechnics.info')

And it's left these files in the directory:

     0  tv_prog.$ts$4.pts
  998K  tv_prog.$ts$4
   64K  tv_prog.$ts$2.pts
   41M  tv_prog.$ts$2
  118K  tv_prog.$ts$3.pts
  157K  tv_prog.$ts$1.pts
   14M  tv_prog.mp
  456M  tv_prog.m2v
     0  tv_prog.$mpR$
     0  tv_prog.$mpL$

> Fundamentally all a PVR does is dump the data stream to disk.  While
> it's perfectly possible that some choose to do more, I wonder whether
> that extends beyond a header.
>
> As such I'd just take a stab at this being an MPEG2 Transport Stream.

Sounds plausible.  Supposing you're right, what can I do with that
information?  Thanks again.

Smylers