[Wylug-help] Topfield PVR Recordings

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Mon Jun 16 13:50:54 BST 2008

Hi,

At the risk of stating the obvious, or already stated, have you tried
ProjectX's gui?

The outputs that I've seen in this thread are pretty much what I'd
expect to see from any PVR, i.e. a muxed DVB MPEG-2 transport stream.

Although several Linux players can play transport streams (I've found
VLC to be more successful more of the time), none do it particularly
well.

ProjectX's command line defaults are basically designed for de-muxing
the audio and video streams for subsequent re-editing.

To get standard MPEG-2 videos, choose to convert the TS (transport
stream) to PS/PES (program stream) by selecting what ProjectX calls MP2
output (not mpa, which is MPEG Audio).

By default ProjectX will, as you have seen, extract the mpa audio stream
from DVB-T or DVB-S streams.

As I understand it, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video typically uses MPEG-1 Layer
2 audio (although DVDs often use AC3).

As previously suggested lame (or one of the free alternatives) can
transcode that to MP3.

Dave

PS I seen it alleged that VLC can demux and re-encode the streams for
you all in one go ... never done it myself, and I have my doubts.