[Wylug-help] OSX to Linux Numerical UIDs

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 17:27:07 BST 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 03:46:36PM +0100, James Holden wrote:
> Do mean permanently so that they correspond to local users on the Linux
> box, or re-map them on the fly?
>
> If it's the former, you could use find to systematically chown them as
> you see fit.
>
> If it's the latter, I think you're out of luck.

Actually, what I want to do is change the numerical UID for the ordinary
user in OSX (permanently).

Unfortunately, it's pretty tricky to google for, and everything I've
found so far says you should use an OSX utility called NetInfo which I
can't find anywhere on my version of OSX, so I'm guessing that it comes
from an earlier version (certainly pre-Leopard, possibly pre-Tiger).

Other than that, all the relevant stuff I've found involves
teeth-sucking of the "you don't want to do/know that" kind, from Ubuntu
users to new converts from OSX.

I suspect that the process of re-assigning numerical UIDs may well be
"non-trivial" to the average Ubuntu user, and it may even be non-trivial
for me, but I've been using *nix flavours for getting on 20 years, so I
"do want to know".

Dave