[Wylug-help] OSX to Linux Numerical UIDs

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Wed Jun 18 00:24:24 BST 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 06:25:10PM +0100, John Hodrien wrote:
> Knowing nothing about OSX, you could always do the inverse of what you've
> asked to do.  Changing it all on the linux side should be trivial.
>
> But then it wouldn't surprise me if it was basically the same with OSX.
> Bunch
> of files that need chowning and /etc/passwd (or equivalent) that needs
> updating with the new uid.

I considered re-setting the Linux UID, but I thought that might be a
little inelegant, since OSX counts ordinary users from UID 501, putting
it 499 short of the numbers that Linux uses for ordinary users.

I was just about to 'risk' treating OSX like a normal *nix, as you
suggest, when I discovered that its 'advanced' user management features
are now hidden behind a right click in (what I thought was) a rather
improbable place within the standard user management tool.

Dave