[Wylug-help] ClamAV help needed - SOLVED

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 20 13:38:25 BST 2008

On Monday 16 June 2008 09:16:14 Anne Wilson wrote:
> Re-sending, as I haven't seen the original arrive on-list.
>
> ClamAV is installed on my CentOS box.  I edited the conf file and assumed
> all is well.  Clearly it isn't.
>
> Every day I see in logwatch that my signatures are updated, and the
> database notified, but if I try to scan a file manually it tells me that my
> signatures are 55 days old.
>
> I tried looking at a how-to, in the hope of identifying the problem, but it
> is hopelessly out of date, and I reached the stage where it seemed that
> following it any further risked my installation.
>
> Can someone please give me a quick run-down of the things I should check.
> Clearly freshclam is running, but that's about all I know for certain.

It turned out that the problem was not in clamav, but in clamtk, which
provides the context-menu scanning of a file.  The developer helped me fix
it, requiring removing all the database files and re-loading them.  I suspect
that when a clamav update was applied I ended up with old and new database
files, which confused clamtk.