[Wylug-help] Remote administration

Lee Evans lee at leeevans.org
Sat Jun 21 10:28:18 BST 2008

>How hard is it to set up remote administration?

It's not. Your broadband router's administration interface should have a
section for firewall / DMZ / NAT / port forwarding / virtual servers, or
something along those lines. You just need to configure the port you want to
be open and forwarding to the internal IP of the host you want to access. If
you're struggling a simple google along the lines of '[router model] port
forwarding' should help.

If you haven't got a static IP, you'll need to either request one from your
ISP or setup a dynamic DNS service such as dyndns.com to give you a
consistent host to connect to.

>to be able to ssh into the server when away from home.

If you want to open SSH, I'd recommend you do so on a different port. It's a
bit of a security through obscurity move, but it means you're not as
susceptible to a lot of the worms out there trying to brute force logins on
port 22. You can leave it running on 22, but when you setup the router just
forward a different external port to 22 internally. Also, disable root SSH
access if you haven't already.

HTH

Lee