[Wylug-help] Remote administration

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 21 11:09:07 BST 2008

On Saturday 21 June 2008 10:26:46 Lee Evans wrote:
> If you want to open SSH, I'd recommend you do so on a different port. It's
> a bit of a security through obscurity move, but it means you're not as
> susceptible to a lot of the worms out there trying to brute force logins on
> port 22. You can leave it running on 22, but when you setup the router just
> forward a different external port to 22 internally. Also, disable root SSH
> access if you haven't already.

Thanks for the reply.  I do have a static IP, so that part isn't a problem.  I
know how to do port forwarding on the router, too.  What I've never done,
though, is change the port for services - although, with fail2ban running
brute force logins aren't a big issue, I think.

As for root login, how do I disable it?  I've just checked and it is being
accepted at the moment.

Thanks