[Wylug-help] More html advice, please

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Sun Jun 29 19:19:50 BST 2008

A month ago Aaron Crane wrotes:

> Smylers writes:
>
> > At least some Linux systems appear to come with a Helvetica clone
> > called FreeSans Medium, so I'd throw that in there too:
> >
> >   font-family: Helvetica, "FreeSans Medium", Aria, sans-serif;
>
> ... unlike Arial, the metrics of FreeSans aren't the same as those of
> Helvetica, so it's not a drop-in replacement.  In particular, it needs
> deeper leading than either Helvetica or Arial for the same visual
> appearance, otherwise lines appear squashed together.  That's not a
> problem for some purposes, but it makes it tricky to write a single
> CSS stylesheet which will work regardless of whether the system has
> FreeSans.
>
> However, I have hopes that some or all of these problems will be fixed
> in future.

Firefox 3 apparently implements a little-known CSS 2.0 property for
specifying the font size by x-height:

  http://dbaron.org/log/20080613-firefox3-css#font-size-adjust

This doesn't provide for making the leading differ between faces, but if
the x-height is fixed, and the leading is set in the same units, then
that might suffice.  (But I haven't tried playing with it.)

Smylers