[Wylug-help] Mplayer

Andy Macdonald andy at greenhead.ac.uk
Fri Mar 7 11:02:40 GMT 2008

Glenn,

Yep it is quite a sub-set of English. Asking the lug for help is a good first step, although purists would say you should try to fix it yourself first.

The documentation is basically English, it means that you can identify the bits you don't understand and then look them up on wikipedia or google. This can involve quite a lot of recursion (look it up!).

Once you have understood what they're saying, then you have to find the 'howto' that tells you how to actually do the the thing such as 'compiling from source', for not only is it assumed that you know what it means, but that you are intimately familiar with how to do it. Usually it won't work first time you try, due to differences in your set up, which you will have to troubleshoot and resolve.

Then you might be able to fix the problem, unless it is a bug in the software.

To that end, FIRST try googling to see if other people are having the same problem. There might even be a quick fix which doesn't tax the brain cells too much.

Best of luck,

Andy

--
Andy Macdonald