[Wylug-help] Laptop Suggestions

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Wed Mar 26 17:12:36 GMT 2008

Hi.  I'm buying a new laptop.  Here are my criteria:

* The laptop it'll be replacing (a Dell Latitude X300) is just 1.4 kg,
  which has been really convenient.  I'm not interested in anything
  significantly heavier.

* I want it to work with a protector (arbitrary projectors, belonging to
  other people) when running Ubuntu.  By "work" I mean that it's
  possible to get output on both the projector and the laptop's screen.
  Ideally I'd like the possibility of _different_ output on each, but
  I'd settle for identical output -- just so long as it doesn't wriggle
  around the screen, or only work the first time then distort the next
  time I cycle to the external display.

  I note that many current laptops have 'widescreen' aspect ratios,
  whereas projectors do not.  What happens when plugging a widescreen
  laptop into a projector?

Any suggestions of what I should buy?  Thanks.

Smylers