[Wylug-help] System clock drifts a lot

Andrew J Cole ajcole at ajcole.org
Sun May 11 19:04:03 BST 2008

>I noticed that my PC clock was frequently way out.  I set up a nightly
>ntpdate call to adjust the time, and every night it looks like my
>clock is out by 3 seconds.  Is this something I should worry about?

>ntpdate output (via crontab):
>
>11 May 03:03:05 ntpdate[11340]: step time server 213.162.97.93 offset 3.492403 sec

The 3.5 seconds in 24 hours is presumably par for the course for your
h/w and environment.

>What can I do about it?

You could obviously just run the cron job more frequently but you might
consider running ntpd (http://www.ntp.org/) and maintaining time-sync.

ntpd is pretty simple to setup and there are public time serevrs you can
use (your ISP probably has one for your customers), with another one or
two thats plenty.

Andrew