[Wylug-help] Web caching/proxy

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu May 15 12:44:41 BST 2008

On Thu, 15 May 2008, James Holden wrote:

> But... you probably won't get much of a performance boost unless you
> have many users. You need many users before it's likely that the pages
> you're requesting has already been accessed recently and is cached.
>
> If it's not, you'll actually end up with more latency.

About 7 years ago we had NTL broadband with a 486 acting as the router.
Running squid made a noticeable difference (but as you say, not a huge
difference), but running a good caching DNS server made quite a difference.  I
was surprised at the time that a good squid setup could feel faster than local
browser cache, but that probably says more about the browser than anything
else.

jh

--
"Come friendly bombs, and fall on Slough!
  It isn't fit for humans now,