: Re: [Wylug-help] HP proliant]

Scott Hodgson linux at sh2515.plus.com
Tue May 20 10:42:17 BST 2008

Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> On 19 May 2008, at 22:12, Scott Hodgson wrote:
>> I got a skipped HP proliant server to learn on, it has 512mb ram and
>> 2 p3 processors
>
> So its most likely a Compaq DL380 or DL380 G2 (original DL380 is a 3U
> box with white-ish front, DL380 G2 is a 2U box with grey front).
> Alternatives are DL360 (1U) or going back further the 1850R (same as
> DL380 original).
>
> In any case all of these boxes plus the bigger ones (theres a 5U and
> some tower boxes) are relatively similar.
All I know is that it is creamy grey rack mounted, built in into the
case is a 3.5in disk drive and a very slim cd drive. scsi drives from 0
to 3 on the left side and expansion under the cd drive for 2 more cd
drives or scsi adapter or tape.  Also has 2 psu's as it through s up an
error when I only have 1 plugged in.

>> I downloaded ubuntu 8.04 server edition. I have a problem where I
>> have never used a server before.  When th CD gets to the options page
>> of installing, check cd, check memory etc Istart one of the programs
>> and hangs after loading kernel.  What am I doing wrong? do I need to
>> change the internal settings?
>
> You might be able to get further by adding a acpi=off line to the
> kernel boot - but thats a bit nasty.
>
> You really want the Compaq SmartStart CD for your server.  Boot that
> up and make sure the OS parameters are set correctly - ie for Linux.
>
> You almost certainly have a Compaq array controller as your disk
> driver.  Some of these have issues although they are generally well
> behaved devices.  However its worth checking if there are any bugs
> filed for the OS against the cciss of cpqarray (more likely the
> latter) controllers.

I don't have the smartstart cd any ideas where i can get it? definitely
have an array controller as it starts up an gives me the option to
recover but doesn't have the software to do so. so have to press f1 to
continue.