[Wylug-help] mail server problems

Andrew J Cole ajcole at ajcole.org
Sat Oct 4 16:46:14 UTC 2008

>>  Your postfix configuration on the new box appears to be your culprit.
>
><chuckle> I think that too, but don't know how to fix it.

Unfortunately its postfix so 20+ years of sendmail experience isn't a
lot of help!

I would start by making certain that postfix was delivering locally
as desired.  Since you aren't using postfix for SMTP outside your local
machine I would leave the "smarthost" setup (SMTP to NTL relay) till
later unless you can see an obvious "smarthost" setting in your .cf files.

You might be able to get some clues on what your postfix configuration
is doing using good old unix/linux mail.

What does "mail -v XXXX at roger-beaumont.co.uk" etc. produce?

>BTW, procmail is also installed (a default that I didn't change).  Is
>that an issue?  'ps -e' doesn't show that it is running.

You wan't be using procmail for mail delivery (or in your .forward)
so it doesn't come into play.

Andrew