[Wylug-help] mail server problems

Roger Beaumont roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk
Sat Oct 4 17:31:01 UTC 2008

Andrew J Cole wrote:
<snip>
>  I would start by making certain that postfix was delivering locally
>  as desired.  Since you aren't using postfix for SMTP outside your
>  local machine I would leave the "smarthost" setup (SMTP to NTL relay)
>  till later unless you can see an obvious "smarthost" setting in your
>  .cf files.
>
>  You might be able to get some clues on what your postfix
>  configuration is doing using good old unix/linux mail.
>
>  What does "mail -v XXXX at roger-beaumont.co.uk" etc. produce?

More DUL bounce messages from the ntl: server.

The output from 'mail is:
[root at tower2 mail]# mail -v roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk
Subject: new test 3
Can I work 'mail'?
Cc: roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
220 tower2.internal ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.8/8.13.8; Sat, 4 Oct 2008
18:24:05 +0100
 >>> EHLO tower2.internal
250-tower2.internal Hello tower2.internal [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
250 2.1.0 <root at tower2.internal>... Sender ok
 >>> RCPT To:<roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk>
 >>> DATA
250 2.1.5 <roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk>... Recipient ok
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
 >>> .
250 2.0.0 m94HO5FF000826 Message accepted for delivery
roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk... Sent (m94HO5FF000826 Message accepted for
delivery)
Closing connection to [127.0.0.1]
 >>> QUIT
221 2.0.0 tower2.internal closing connection

Clearly, 'mail' sees "roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk" as an external
destination.

Thanks again,

Roger